Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chicken Brunswick Stew

Sometimes I watch so many food shows, and read so many food blogs that my eyes bug out.  I am always on the search for a dish that is comforting and easy to prepare.  A dish that after someone eats it says, 'that tasted like a Vicky dish'....I've been told my food has it's own signature.  My cooking style must come from watching my dad at the stove, on Sunday mornings at 7 am, chopping, stirring, roasting, and getting Sunday dinner ready for his gaggle of girls.

Today I found a recipe I've been wanting to try.  I modified it to suit my taste buds, and it turned out to be a hit!

Chicken Brunswick Stew
4 chicken thighs
Water 
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 16 oz. can creamed corn
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup BBQ sauce (my fav is Sweet Baby Rays)
1 T liquid smoke
1 chopped onion
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T cider vinegar
Salt and Pepper
Cooked rice - (I use Jasmine rice)

Directions
In a large pot, cover the chicken thighs with water to cover and bring to boil.  Cook until the chicken falls of the bone, about 30 minutes.  Drain the chicken and cool.  Remove the skin and bones, and chopped meat.

In a separate pot (I use my 5 1/2 qt LeCreuset), mix the remaining ingredients.  Add the chopped chicken.  Simmer slowly for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.  Add a bit of the chicken stock if the stew becomes too thick.  Serve over steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment