Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Country Potato Salad

I am not a potato salad lover, but my family loves it.  It was the 4th of July and I felt guilty about buying a tub of potato salad from Albertson's so I attempted to make it from scratch.  I was actually kind of scared of it, and the process of boiling and peeling hot potatoes.  My Ironman never, I mean hardly ever, says anything about what I cook, or meals, or food, BUT today when I said I was making potato salad he says "white or yellow"?  Huh?  There is a difference?  Then he says the potatoes should be cooked just right or it's not so good.  I was in a tail spin by this time....not knowing whether I should use red potatoes, russets or yukon golds.   I read so many recipes I was dizzy.  I took a big leap and made this potato salad, and it got good reviews!  Whew!

Ingredients
  • 6 strips bacon
  • 2 lbs small red potatoes
  • 1 green onion, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 glove garlic, minced
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 teaspoon brown mustard
  • Salt and Pepper
Directions
  1. Saute bacon, green pepper and garlic until bacon is almost crispy.  Drain on paper towels.  Reserve a few tablespoons of drippings from the bacon.
  2. Place potatoes in cold water in medium saucepan.  Add 1 teas. salt and small amount of reserved bacon drippings.  Boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes.  Drain and cool.  Cut into 1 inch cubes.
  3. Combine mayonnaise, sugar, mustard, cider vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper.
  4. Combine potatoes, green onion, and chopped eggs; add bacon, pepper and garlic mixture.   Add mayonnaise mixture.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment